- 1.How long does HAZOP analysis take?
The length of HAZOP analysis depends on the complexity of the process and the number of papers in the flow chart. The process complexity is different, and the time required is also different. The number of PIDs analyzed per day is not more than 10.
- 2.What information must be collected in preparation for HAZOP analysis?
Process description, process chemistry principle, process hazard description
Process flow description (including basic information such as operating temperature, pressure, flow rate and key equipment control parameters)
Use version of pipeline and instrument flow chart (P&ID), utility pipeline and instrument flow chart (U&ID), process flow chart (PFD)
Process control and interlock control instructions
MSDS of physical properties and hazardous data
Safety evaluation report or previous HAZOP analysis report (if any)
- 3.HAZOP team
HAZOP analysis is a teamwork activity. Each member of the team is carefully selected and has a clear role. The team is as capable as possible on the premise that sufficient personnel including relevant technical, operational skills and experience are ensured. Generally 4~7 people, the bigger the team, the slower the action.
HAZOP chairman (or group leader): has no close contact with the design team and the project, has rich experience in HAZOP analysis activities and has undergone rigorous training to realize the communication between the project management and the analysis team, and make analysis Plan to ensure that sufficient design description and information are provided to the analysis team, suggest the guiding words used in the analysis, and explain the guiding words-elements/characteristics; guide the analysis to ensure that the analysis results are effectively archived.
Recorder: Record the meeting process, record all the identified hazards, problems, suggestions, and follow-up actions. Assist the team leader to make plans and participate in management.
Process designer: Responsible for explaining the design intent, explaining how each defined deviation occurs and responding to the system.
User: Responsible for explaining the operating parameters of the analysis elements, the consequences of possible deviations, and the degree of danger of deviations.
- 4.The HAZOP analysis study would involve the following processes:
• Establishing a“design intent” for the process, including the desired and/or safe ranges for each operating parameters.
• Using guidance words (no, less, more, reverse, etc.) for each process parameters (temperature, pressure, flow, level, etc.)to identify deviations from the design intent.
• Determining if the control system and emergency system are adequate and are sufficiently reliable to prevent each deviation - in the form of initiation events and favorableconditions - from escalating into adverse process events.
• Estimating the severity of the consequences of each unexpectedevent, taking into account mitigation safeguards and conditional factors. Consequences can be further evaluated by using our expertise to model or specialist software such as PHAST® and Effects®.
• Estimating theprobability of each accident.
• Utilizing a risk matrix to determine the relative risk ofunexpected events.
• Comparing occurrence risk ofeach event withthe company's process risk guidelines.
• Determining the number and types of safeguards and/or process improvements needed to reduce the risk to tolerable levels.
- 5.What are the requirements for hazard and operability studies in China?
The state has successively issued a series of documents that require HAZOP analysis of new projects and in-service installations, such as the State Administration of Work Safety, Safety Supervision Director III  No. 76 "Notice on Further Strengthening the Safety Design Management of Hazardous Chemical Construction Projects", "Construction projects involving "two key points and one major" and the first industrial design must carry out HAZOP analysis during the basic design stage".Safety Supervision General Administration III  No.88 "Guiding Opinions of the State Administration of Work Safety on Strengthening the Safety Management of Chemical Processes", "HAZOP technology shall be used for production and storage devices involving the key supervision of hazardous chemicals, the key supervision of hazardous chemical processes and the major hazardous sources of hazardous chemicals, and risk identification analysis is generally carried out every 3 years.For other production storage devices, according to the different complexity of the device, select safety checklist, work hazard analysis, pre-hazard analysis,failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA), HAZOP technology and other methods or a combination of multiple methods, risk identification analysis can be carried out every 5 years."